Kelly Gill of the Xerces Society will provide participants with the latest science-based approaches to conserving and increasing beneficial insects in farms and gardens.
The workshop will cover:
- The importance of beneficial insects – predators and parasitoids that attack insect pests.
- Recognizing the habitat needs of beneficial insects.
- Designing and implementing habitat improvements: native plant restoration, insectary plantings, beetle banks, and overwintering habitat.
- The current best management practices that minimize land-use impacts on beneficial insects and mitigate exposure to insecticides.
- How current Farm Bill conservation programs can be used to get financial and technical support for beneficial insect habitat.